web analytics
Reports Trends

Yemen: Saudi-led forces blame civilian casualties on UN

An airstrike hits a military site controlled by the Houthi group in Yemen's capital Sanaa May 12, 2015

Saudi-led forces in Yemen responded yesterday to allegations that their warplanes have caused mass civilian casualties, admitting that there had been “unintended bombings.”

Saudi spokesman Mohammed al-Mansour blamed United Nations agencies for not coordinating humanitarian activities with the coalition.

He chronicled eight deadly incidents, including a notorious attack on the port city of Mokha that killed 65 civilians, including 10 children.

Mr Mansour said the victims had died due to “unintended bombing based on inaccurate intelligence” and said that compensation should be paid to the victims’ families.

He blamed a second incident, in which food lorries run by the World Food Programme were bombed last November, on the UN agency for failing to notify the coalition.

Mr Mansour put forward various defenses for coalition bombing of medical facilities affiliated to the Doctors Without Borders aid agency, saying for example that it should not have placed its mobile clinic near rebels in Taiz.


579 Total Views 1 Views Today

About the author

Sydney Chesterfield

Poet, Playwright, Philosopher, Humanitarian, mad lover of children and unflinching fighter for equality on all grounds viz. Women's rights, child rights, sine die.

Twitter: @syd_field