The Handball Federation of Nigeria has again appealed to the Ministry of Youth and Sports to help to offset its debt to the Confederation of Africa Handball players’ growth.
The debt accrued due to Nigeria’s failure to pay its appearance fee at African Men’s Championship held in January in Egypt.
It led to the country being banned by CAHB from all continental handball activities.
HFN President Yusuf Dauda made the appeal while reflecting on the implications of the ban on Saturday in Lagos.
Dauda said that the body had earlier urged the ministry to pay the debt and save the country’s handball players from being absent from competitions at international level.
He added that federation had yet to respond to its appeal which has left the sport in a worrisome state since the letter banning the country was sent to the federation.
“Our country participated in the championship in Cairo without the payment but CAHB allowed us as regular participants, but it expected us to pay before now but we were not forthcoming.
“We are still waiting for the ministry to come to our aid because it is only when the bill is settled that CAHB can lift the ban for us to be readmitted.
“With this ban, we will be out of necessary developments that can influence our growth because CAHB is the official ruling body for handball activities in the continent,’’ he said.
He urged state associations to be proactive in their programmes so as to keep players busy and prepare for major national competitions, including the National Sports Festival in Calabar in November.